Friday, February 22, 2013

Companionway Fun...

 
In my last post, I showed a picture of the hole in the cabin that will soon be the companionway. The fun part of this stage is the introduction of nicer wood. It would be nice to be able to afford to build the whole project in mahogany, but my wallet dictates otherwise. We have also decided to use mahogany rather than teak due to cost and I like the look of mahogany anyway..! If the boat was going to live outside, I might chose differently, but we plan to keep a spot nice and warm in the garage to store her after sailing!
 
The douglas fir I have been using is very nice stuff from Clark Hardwoods in Houston, but the mahogany is beautiful...
 
 
 
The work has slowed as I try to make everything fit together nicely. It was also fun learning to use a router to put nice edges on the boards that I used. It's harder to create a snug fit to everything than I imagined since I only have hand tools, but rewarding nonetheless when completed...
 
More pix coming as the work proceeds.
 
Have a great weekend!
 
Pirate
 




No comments:

Post a Comment